PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA Aerobatics Course
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2001, 11:56
FNG

Smile

Skydriller, although I'm now a sad tailwheel geek, I suppose that the answer is a matter of personal choice/what's available in your area/how much you want to spend. I assume that most competition aeros machines have tailwheels because of the lower weight/drag in flight, but of course there's still plenty of aerobatic jollies to be had in nosewheel types. I was recommended to do a tailwheel conversion on a (non aerobatic) Cub before moving on to a Cap, the instructor's reasoning being that the Cub is a harder taildragger to land and so teaches better generic tailwheel skills. In another thread recently it was suggested that a Citabria is great fun, although there don't seem to be that many of them around. Meanwhile, my friend learning in the Pitts has opted to use it to collect his tailwheel tick, his wobbly prop tick, and his aeros course all on one aircraft. If it is really true that Ms Grace at Duxford did her PPL on her Spitfire (I've heard this said but have no idea if it's true) I suppose that covered all three as well!