PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA Aerobatics Course
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2001, 00:52
FNG

I can't offer much comparative experience (have tried Bulldog, Pup, Chippie, Slingsby, Cap). I'm waiting for a friend to get a Pitts share so that I can swap Pitts/Cap rides with him (hurry up JS: you know who you are). I agree, however, that if you're looking for cheaper aeros, a Pup 150 is worth a look. I don't know from Cessnas, (last time I was in a a C150/152 was as a spotty teenage oik doing a dogsbody job at a local flying school in the 70s, and there was no upside down stuff involved in the infrequent freebie flights provided by the owner - his idea of excitement was to say "clear takeoff G xx" to Birmingham Tower, open the throttle, close his eyes, take his hands off and say "you do the bugger") but the Pup's extra bit of power can't go amiss. Also, isn't there a risk of pulling to one side on the yoke when under high G, which isn't a problem with a stick? Pardon me if this is aviation myth number 997.

NB this is not intended as a dig at Cessnas or those who fly them, still less those who win competitions in them. Hats off to those who can perform precise aeros in low powered aircraft. It's doubtless only my crippling lack of ability which makes me want lots of reassuring noisiness going on upfront whilst I hamfistedly bodge my way through wonky loops and staggering rolls.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 08 June 2001).]