PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 13:34
SR71

Mach 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tandemrotor,

I'll be the first to admit my ignorance...

I'm curious though, because when was the last time that BA union membership levels were, say, down at 65%?

Historically, it seems to me that membership levels at BA have always been high. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Now we can discuss why that might be the case, but as one who has been intimately involved in trying to address union membership levels in a company I worked for, it is not at all easy to raise membership levels...especially if there is a consensus amongst a proportion of the population that you don't have anything worth fighting for anyway!

Some BA pilots obviously don't appreciate this...in fact, one would think they're individually responsible for recruiting all 3000+ members!

Once membership levels reach a certain point, though, a kind of critical mass ensues, with the perception of new entrants being that there is obviously a reason for such membership levels (which in BA's case is fairly obvious), and the levels self perpetuate.

So whether high union membership levels result in good T&C's, or whether good T&C's result in high union membership levels is not clear to me.

Personally, I don't believe a decline in BA pilot's T&C's will have a significant effect on the majority of pilot T&C's in the UK whatsoever...certainly not in the short to medium term. It might if you're VS, AF, KLM or LH...

But we'll all be working for EK on the A380 soon won't we?

As delwy says, a little less testosterone and some more of that good NOTECH stuff might assist this debate no end....did I really say that?