PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 10:22
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SR71

A slightly tongue-in cheek-response to your "slightly tongue-in-cheek" post.
Better get used to the fact that a proportion of pilots would love to see you suffer!
No **** Sherlock!

If BA pilots do suffer, do you think that is 'more', or 'less' likely to result in improvements to general T&Cs in this industry? Wouldn't that be a pretty stupid thing to hope for?

Finally, what do you suggest BA pilots could have done to prevent people in other companies, "paying for your type-rating, and spending your first few months working for free"??

As you said, these may have been 'new' companies. But they aren't now. What are their pilots currently doing to stop this practice? Everyone has to take personal responsibility.

BALPA is not an all powerful organisation! It's you and me. Without strong membership in a company, those pilots have no voice, and effectively have to be grateful for whatever crumbs are handed down from the managers at the 'fat' table!

I'm very lucky. I work for a company where virtually every one of my colleagues realises the importance of having a voice at the 'fat' table.

Others could be 'lucky' too. If they organise themselves! It's not rocket science.