PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 08:17
Shaka Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very simple SR71, negotiate!
Thats all we are asking. Not the simple no and no answers they've given us when we said we would like to make it a nil cost solution for BA (already going to far in my opinion for a negotiation standpoint). So where is the rub?

Ofcourse it's a business venture that hopefully takes off in the right way. But we want to be a part of it for reasons afore mentioned. But as before, we are not going to blow OS out of the water asking for mainline T&C's. One little nugget mind: You can be paid either in pounds or in euro's for OS at a fixed rate of 1.4. So as the pound slides against the euro, their contracts are not that cheap at all anymore. The equivalent of a PP18 skipper on mainline.

Funnily enough when I was low cost, I never ever thought I wanted somebody who has better T&C's suffer. For what reasons exactly? I accept your viewpoints regarding a general slide in the aviation industry but it's not BA's fault. If you want to lay blame go directly to the Unions or your own Company Council. I think the working relationships between Unions or even in one Union are very poor indeed. Just like any other business I guess.

Even we suffer from that general slide, look at pensions, 900hr rules, work coverage debates etc etc
We might enjoy the best T&C's in the UK but the gap has been closing for a while now.
And in fact, rejoining BA as an FO from a captains salary at EZY has been a BIG pay cut for the next 15 years. Tell me who reaps the fruits from that?