PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 07:59
SR71

Mach 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly tongue-in-cheek (although there is nothing tongue in cheek about the_heavy_heavy's posts), but BA pilots wanting ALL pilots to pull together at this point in time, because of downwards pressure on their T&C's is a little ironic....

I mean, when paying for your type-rating, and spending your first few months working for free started to become de rigeur at certain airlines (in lieu of sponsorships drying up), I don't remember BA pilots of the day expressing the intention that they'd metaphorically "down tools" on behalf of those so unfortunate as to be forced down that road?

And arguably that has been the single biggest threat to all of our T&C's....

Better get used to the fact that a proportion of pilots would love to see you suffer!

What is also curious, is that many BA pilots reduce the argument they presently have with management to one of seniority, and stop there.

But it must be obvious to all but the dullest, that this doesn't really offer BA much leeway with regards to managing the costs associated with their new business proposition. Surely this is the crux issue?

Its all very well allowing OS pilots reduced T&C's, but inclusion on the seniority list means that once their secondment is up, they're free to take up employment on Mainline T&C's... So you only ever have a small tranche of pilots on OS T&C's.

How does that help BA? Or rather, how does that help the business you're employed by?

Granted I personally think there is slack in the system, but what are BA pilots suggesting the company do to tackle this point?