PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Running Expenses for c210
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2008, 06:52
StrutlessDrKiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone in here asked me for my thoughts on the IO550 powered C210 vs the FTDK (V35B) - sorry, can't find the post!

OK, the jury is IN!

I knotched up 20 hrs in the IO550 C210 today, including two flights of 3+ hrs at 9 or 10,000'.

I have a couple of hundred hours in C210s, about 400 in the FTDK and maybe another 20 in the A36 and various other Bonanzas.

Flown at the same power settings/alt/etc, the performance of the two aircraft is virtually identical! There would not be a bee's dick in it!

The V35B has Gamis but doesn't have an all cylinder engine monitor (ACEM) (at the moment) - the C210 has the ACEM but has TCM "matched" injectors not Gamis. Neither the V35B nor the C210 were happy running LOP - so were both flown 50oC ROP.

The "jury" have flown in both the V35B and the IO550-C210 - all voted for the Bonanza as the more comfortable aircraft to travel in! The C210 was considered a "rough" ride. I found that interesting given the V-tails' tail wagging tendencies.

And I can tell you that it is a great deal easier to manage the speed of the Bonanza on descent than it is with the C210. The 210's tendency to at the top of the green arc or well up into the yellow arc makes me nervous. I got held up on descent into YBTL this afternoon and ended up over the fence at 140kts with the gear down and 10o flap - turned off at the second taxy way rather than my usual 1st taxyway! Dropping the gear does not slow it down like the Bonanza!

Give me a Bonanza every time!

Dr