PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 23:38
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
..as M.Mouse seemed to infer -
Now, now that was to distort what I said.

I pay a large sum of money into BALPA each month. In BA the last CC was seen to be ineffective in various areas in our dealings with the company. The strength of feeling was such that several motivated people stood for election and effectively the old guard was removed. Progress, and by that I mean constructive and mutually beneficial progress between BA and BALPA on numerous issues, followed soon after.

To my shame I confess that I do not have an intimate knowledge of all the various takeover, mergers and other interactions with other airlines CCs when a conflict of interest occurred in the past.

What I would ask is that the vociferous and venomous amongst the posters here stand for election and fight their corner if they perceive their CCs are doing such a bad job against the big bad BACC. Alternatively leave and join the IPA. But to remain and just slag off BALPA and the BACC would strike me as unproductive and frustrating.

Chris Darke was, in my opinion, a disaster for BALPA. Jim McAuslan seems to be an excellent General Secretary and I cannot believe that he is allowing or would allow the BA section to ride roughshod over the majority membership of BALPA i.e. non BA BALPA members.

At the moment BALPA and the BACC are fighting an issue that has repercussions for almost every pilot in the the UK and possibly further afield. I will be retiring sometime in the next 5 years or so. I will be risking much with little to lose but am prepared to stand up and be counted. That action I may be required to take is not purely protecting the interests of BA pilots. If UK pilots believe it is just a BA issue I would suggest that a rude awakening is in store. BALPA are certainly not looking at just the narrow interests of BA pilots in this particular case.

This thread seems to be achieving nothing except serving as a poor example of how very unpleasant pilots can be with such entrenched internecine fighting and bitterness. Given the worldwide and vast readership of this site that saddens me.

When are these BA pilots going to actually put their money where their mouth is and take some kind of action?
As soon as the court rules whether it is legal for us to do so. I am sure you are not suggesting that BALPA allow the BACC to strike when the resultant damages, should that strike be ruled illegal, would bankrupt BALPA.