PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 17:12
Southernboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is the BACC effective?

"It seems to me to be glaringly obvious that the reason BA pilots enjoy such (relatively) good T&Cs, is NOT because we ever claim to be better pilots than anyone else, (We aren't - though others have said to me we occupy a narrower 'spread' of ability) but purely because union representation is extraordinarily strong within the company. I don't know the figures, but I would be very surprised if membership didn't run to around 96%?"

This is undoubtedly true but it's that classic chicken & egg problem. Having been an active CC member I know how hard it is to get pilots to pull together (can't even be a*sed to fill in a questionaire the CC put out, but can bang on in the crew room about what they want) but yes one reason is undoubtedly the perceived BA Bias.

Chris Darke was trying to change that, with some success, but was ousted in a BA Coup. Look what's just happened again, another BA coup.

of course BA pilots provide the lions share of the money (1% of bigger salaries & 96%+ membership) so of course they expect to be heard & they sure are but their CC is well organised & effective. however, we asked for their help on an interrelated matter some years ago & little was forthcoming - not considered in their interests presumably - although what subsequently came about proved that it was. Some of their current troubles may have been eased if they had.

I also remember when one regional carrier was fighting draconian management & BALPA was lobbying parliament over the £1million pension cap. When pointed out that most of my guys would kill for that problem, they could not see the irony. We had one overworked negotiator who performed miracles but where was the weight of the union? Behind BA & the pension issue. It's hard to rev up more membership when pilots see such blatant bias.