PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 13:40
delwy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deary, deary me. The three pages here make for sad reading. One group of pilots with chips on their shoulder off the subject and fighting with another group of equally opinionated pilots. None of it makes for pretty reading.

Occasionally somebody comes along with a bit of common sense to say something like:
It seems to me to be glaringly obvious that the reason BA pilots enjoy such (relatively) good T&Cs, is NOT because we ever claim to be better pilots than anyone else, (We aren't - though others have said to me we occupy a narrower 'spread' of ability) but purely because union representation is extraordinarily strong within the company. I don't know the figures, but I would be very surprised if membership didn't run to around 96%?
Without that kind of unity everybody is screwed. Including those who think that they are bringing down the "fat cats" to their level. (Quite why many pilots don't want to get themselves UP to where the "fat cats" are has always amazed me).

Over in the U.S. of A. yet another group of disgruntled pilots have voted to opt out of ALPA because they did not like the result of a merger proposal for integrating seniority lists. The bitterness generated by this will no doubt go on for decades. In reality it is a battle between two groups of pilots and not between ALPA and two airline managements. ALPA, just as happened with BALPA in the past, will no doubt end up being blamed for not making things right. Which they cannot.

When a group of pilots get together to form an association to protect their collective interests they are only as good as their unity and what they put into looking after their interests. You cannot blame any ALPA for failing to support a bunch of pilots that will not pull together. It is political common sense 101. I would not want my money spent on such idiocy.

You all get what you deserve.