PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure on take off - do you teach it?
Old 20th Apr 2008, 09:44
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flapper

I'm not an instructor but fly with some very low time co-pilots at times. And the things I stress on this issue are just the basics. I'm not talking during bush operations, but when we have the option to do it more safely, I try to take it...well, much of the time

I stress keeping the disc as flat as possible with minimum power, keeping the airframe close to level for minimum attitude adjustment in case we experience an 'event' and need to set down.....If we are in on an airfield and taxiing to holding for example. Keep any available line between your knees and use it as an aid to keeping straight during the 'event'...Using the knees as a gunsight. I had one or two check airmen comment over the years such as..."Get on the centerline" but once explained it was accepted...I continue the early part of the takeoff with the centerline (if any) between my knees or the other guy doing it with his legs.

If the failure happens and you screw up the collective cushioning, you might get a 'lively' event to tell your mates about, but you will generally keep it on its feet...And thats gonna get you an A+ right there!

Tracking straight is obviously the most critical issue during transition from hover to forward flight. Keep the wheels or skids going in exactly the same direction as the mast...A student can screw up the rest and will generally have a survivable event. But no matter how great the 'cushioning or settling is' if your going westbound on a southbound bus it could end in tears...

I know this is flying 101, but if you reinforce this or similar every time with your students, I think you've met your 'duty of care' adequately without repeated exposure to you, the studes and the airframe if the machine has a super low inertia system...And if you demonstrate critical failure regularly, and regardless of how current or skilled you are. Eventually the odds could get you, and we all know! One Oh ****! ruins all the attaboys

Just an opinion and good luck with the opposing views.

170'