PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air Interview Profile
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2008, 08:32
billabongbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed as someone mentioned, success in KAL is like winning a lottery. When I first came during the end of the dark days in late 1999 and early 2000, OE was very " loud " with hardly any training. Every flight was a check flight with the LCP jumping at every trivial thing not to his liking. I almost gave up until I was assigned to a wonderful new foreign LCP. This chap showed me the ropes; ever patient he went through a whole 3 days before our OE training together at the OC building in Kimpo using the fixed base engineering ( I to was a non rated DEC ). I was so lucky to have a series of OE training with this gentleman that I had enough confidence to continue with the torturous OE training. Obviously he was quite respected by the then head of KAL B777 training ( if I remember right, he was the first KAL B777 expat recruited ) and he did put in a good word for me.

If one manage to get a good report from a " senior " LCP, then the juniors will continue the train of good report and it will be fairly comfortable training on. If one start on a wrong foot with a nasty, then it's a goner! A lottery really!!

I am now out of there for some years now. Looking back I wouldn't want to do it again. The stress, uncertainty and arbitary changes in contract conditions were too much to bear. I aged, I guess, at almost 3 times the rate as my contemporaries in SQ, EK etc. For guys with a fairly outfit, do think hard, very hard before embarking on this kimchi adventure!

Last edited by billabongbill; 20th Apr 2008 at 08:50.