PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 22:45
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignoring all the usual cul-de-sacs which crop up when the terms BA and BALPA are mentioned in the same breath!

It seems to me to be glaringly obvious that the reason BA pilots enjoy such (relatively) good T&Cs, is NOT because we ever claim to be better pilots than anyone else, (We aren't - though others have said to me we occupy a narrower 'spread' of ability) but purely because union representation is extraordinarily strong within the company. I don't know the figures, but I would be very surprised if membership didn't run to around 96%?

This level of representation enables those that negotiate on our behalf to negotiate from a position of strength. Another company that I believe have traditionally enjoyed high levels of BALPA membership is Britannia, and it's newer incarnation. Also a company with very good levels of remuneration!

Coincidence???

It always saddens me when people working for companies with low levels of membership, or inadequate 'Company Councils', feel pilots from other companies should take up the 'cudgels' on their behalf! Normally when, for a variety of reasons, they are simply incapable of taking responsibility for their own situations.

Since BA pilots contribute well over half the total contributions to BALPA, the question that should be asked here, is not: 'What have BA pilots ever done for us? - I'm going to leave!'

The question for BA pilots should be, what does BALPA, and it's association with other Airline CCs do for us!!

Why don't BA pilots do, as has been suggested, simply set up the British Airways Airline Pilots Association! What would we lose?

Be careful what you wish for guys, there are many possible outcomes here that could break this union. Amongst these is, animosity from the pilots of other airlines.

BA pilots can easily form a union of their own. It may even be better for us. Is that really what you want?