PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which type rating to choose?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 11:51
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I just take a moment to echo Mike Hotels post, intelligence and objectivity are sadly lacking at times on here.

dontpressthat - you have no doubt observed by the 40 or so posts before mine this subject stirs quite a hurricane of "I know better than you....here's why".

Simplest way to look at this subject, draw up a table, one heading pro's other con's and start listing. Everyone's circumstances are different and you should apply your own financial and family commitments, career progression prospects and earning potential into the thought process.

A few things I would throw into the mix:
  • People on here tend to be polarised, take every story with a pinch of salt as I have seen first hand examples of Chinese whispers in the aviation community.
  • You by no means have to follow the FI route, its not for everyone and therefore should not be thought of as a mandatory step after attaining your CPL/IR. Some people think it should be as is the progression up through the aviation ranks, again, not for everyone.
  • From my experience I would not advocate a TR without a good chance of a job upon finishing, and how likely is the market going to be the same in 2/3 months in an industry that peaks and troughs daily.
I'd like to inform Had Enough I had the majority of my sim slots at 7pm-11pm, for me this was perfect as I avoided traffic and not being a morning person I tended to be more focused. I actually considered it a bonus as I avoided coronation street and other crap telly. If you consider that graveyard then fine.

As for the chief pilot, he no doubt started flying in a very different environment compared to what exists now, gone are the days of airline sponsorships, paid type ratings for newbies and the generous benefits package. It would be interesting if he was zapped back 20 odd years to 250 hours/IR and replaced in 2008, see if his disdain and suspicion still fuelled his opinion.

We work in an industry that is aspirational, as a result there is great deal of competition and people who will go to a variety of different methods and means to facilitate this.

Only thing I would kind of agree with what the chief pilot said was that when finishing the TR you need some more training. You do the minimum amount of time by CAA dictate to allow you to get a tick in the box of most types of normal and non-normal procedures you will encounter in your chosen aircraft type. As a result the 60ish hours you do passed in the snap of finger and you know so little. Maybe insisting on a full new TR is extreme but certainly more time in the expensive sim to just feel comfortable would be prudent.

Also the instructors who work for SSTR companies also work with most of the major UK charter operators as well. The majority are either retired or still flying on the line. They are allowed to instruct on their days off in addition to their own instructional duties with their airline (if still employed).