PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life in the Airforce - how is it really?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 08:11
skaterboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jolly Tar,

I would disagree with certain things mentioned and would say the answers to your questions are:

1. Not much, and around 2-3 years.
2. Not as much as you'd think but there is an element of it.
3. If you live off base as you want to (and I do) then as much as you want to participate in.

I'll elaborate by saying that postings and deployments can be very dependant upon which fleet your fiancé ends up on. All fleets are working hard but there are some that are better than others. I'd say the Helicopter fleets have it the worst, closely followed by the Multi-Engine guys then the fast-jet guys. There is obviously some variation in this of course.

Since your bloke has to go through training you can expect a turbulent 3-5 years as mentioned. The chances of buying your own house at each place in this time, given the current climate, are nil. So you will have to live in quarters.

Once he gets to the front line some stability could be assured but where you end up and for how long is anyone's guess. Personally, as aircrew I've been at the same place now for 8 years and own my own house and my wife has her own career, so it can be done but that's a rarity. I don't think I'll be lucky for ever though....

I hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited by skaterboi; 19th Apr 2008 at 08:14. Reason: spelling again!