PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Seasprites – who is responsible?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2008, 01:10
jumpuFOKKERjump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no first-hand knowledge here, but my Navy sources tell me there was never a requirement for the Kaman, the Anzac frigates were capable of running the Seahawk with minor changes, but the bean counters would rather buy a new helicopter that do it. There was another reason to do with the Kiwi frigates, but I forget the details.

I'm sure it's shortcomings as a weapon could be overcome if enough money was thrown at it, but I have heard it is already too heavy for it's undercarriage, bending same in sea trials. It is just a dog.

The most important issue is not to make the mistake again, however I can see it being repeated – probably with the Joint Strike Fighter.
Yep, it was a mistake to paint a bunch of surplus F-105's grey and rebrand them as the F-35...

Completely on a tangent, I get the idea that the ship-driving part of the Navy, while grudgingly appreciating the capabilities of helicopters, basically despise having the things on ships and really enjoy the indoor barbeques and indoor workouts that result from the Wokka not being quite right yet

On another tangent, I know they have had a lot of problems with cracks on the airframe: http://img127.exs.cx/img127/271/anew...ic188129xt.jpg