PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa membership and BA
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2008, 17:14
ssschmokin1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heavy heavy

your arrogance astounds me in your assumption that pilots in LCCs are automatically sub standard compared to pilots who were lucky enough to be funded for their training.

Just a couple of examples to hole your throry below the waterline - what of pilots who come to flying a little later in life, pass the relevant selection tests at an airline that sponsores and hires direct entries, and are then told 'sorry old chap, we don't take anyone onto xtype who is over 30' so we don't have a slot for you... this one happened to me.

Or, maybe there were no funded cadetships going due to the lack of recruitment when I was trying to get in to flight training. Again this happened to me and once the airlines started recruiting again I was age barred.

So what choice - give up and just worship sky gods such as yourself from afar, wistfully flying a desk for the rest of my miserable existance, or work my b@@@@@@s off to save up the money to buy training and 8 years later get a job with a LCC having gone through exactly the same training course that a BA pilot goes through.

Why don't you get off your high horse and realize that the biggest threat to pilot T&C is an Irish fella who is expert at recruiting pilots from all over to fly his fleet at salary levels that are not great, because they are desperate for a job. Many don't stay long, and many came from some of your beloved high fare high wage cadet sponsoring airlines after they went bust. However, because BALPA is far too BA centric, there is frightening inertia in getting in a union to address the situation, and meanwhile his management tactics are being exported wholesale. Where do think the inspiration for OS came from in the first place....

Rather then denigrating LCC pilots, why don't you try embracing them with a little support, by pushing BALPA to commit to what will be an industry defining scrap with the Irish fella.....