PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old chestnut - IFR at night
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2008, 10:49
Cap'n Arrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CAR overrides the CAO in that, regardless of whether you operate VFR or IFR, to fly at night with pax, you must have the 3 t/os and ldgs.

Very early on in the same part of the CAR is a section which is titled something along the lines of "Night operations for the purpose of obtaining a CIR," which is what allows schools to do night circuits to gain the 5 hours of night command.

NOTE: I hold a MECIR, but no NVFR. I may fly at night, provided my CIR is current, and that I operate, and remain under IFR from start to shutdown i.e. I cannot downgrade to NVFR, unless I meet the minimums under "Flight under NVFR procedures."

PIFR has a "NIGHT" box (for an FPA) which can be ticked on the application form, so I would suggest:

1) READ the PIFR CAAP. If the answer is not in here, and you do not have "Night" written under your PIFR on your licence, you most likely cannot operate night IFR.

2) Check with CASA. Just send em an email. You should get a response within a couple of weeks explaining their view on it.