PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are your pet hate non-standard phraseologies?
Old 15th Apr 2008, 16:36
mini-jumbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Radar Heading

Am I missing something here ? Early in this thread (haven't read them all I admit)... it seems that some (inc Pprune Radar) take exception to hearing it.. It's been a very long time since doing my IR training but I seem to remember that on hand-over we were supposed to inc the phrase and heading to the next controller... just by way of a back-up...

It's not in the CAP413 or the controller's Manual, so it's not standard phraseology, and it's precise meaning is therefore not defined anywhere. That makes it meaningless and superfluous. On handover you certainly should pass your heading if you have been assigned one, but by stating the heading you are flying in terms of degrees.
I'm one of the pilots guilty of using "radar heading". I use it in an intial call when I've been assigned a heading by another controller.

I appreciate it might not be standard, however I hear it on a daily basis from controllers.

An example:

"Callsign, make your heading a radar heading, and report that heading" I get this nearly everyday.

Another one is the instruction to fly "radar heading xxx".