PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots with history of recreational drug use.Do I stand a chance?
Old 15th Apr 2008, 06:39
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh what tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!

If you put a dalliance with illegal drugs on your medical records, then fill out a Qantas application questionnaire or suchlike document from another employer saying "No drug use" then in my opinion you have effectively committed the crime of obtaining a financial advantage by deception and it is you who provided the evidence. All that needs to happen then is for either your medical records to become public, or an accident occurs that requires investigators to examine exactly who and what you are.

As is happening all over the world, privacy is becoming a thing of the past, as databases can be searched at the flick of a finger. Of course it's all for the good of the community isn't it?

Here is the catch - the records won't say "Cetnik as a school kid, had a brief fling with eccy's etc. But he is all right now".

Nope, the record will say something like "Cetnik has a history of drug use" or "Cetnik - known drug user".

Or if it's a really big and compact database it will simply say "Cetnik - drug use flag = 1." (ie "Yes")

Some of you must know that your medical records are under continuous assault from insurance companies and employers as well as the government.

And the sad part is, if I was screening Qantas applicants, the first automatic exclusions would be for any exposure to drugs or any psychiatric treatment. And before you try and argue about this being "'reasonable", they will exclude with total disregard for the circumstances, context or timeframe.

I don't know how many times I've had to educate teenagers about the fact that your police and medical records are never erased, and what's on them can seriously reduce your career and earning prospects.