PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Express - Living and Working
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2008, 03:59
Jamie J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have sent PMs to me asking for more info, here is some more recent thoughts (to be read alongside my opening thread written in September 07):

Housing - infact average rentals increased 25% last year in HK and are predicted to be 25-30% this year. This is hurting because its by far the biggest expensive for people living here.

HKA/HKE new deal - HKE and HKE have merged management although operations remain seperate. Both sets of pilots have been offered amendments to their (different!) contracts. I can only speak for HKE pilots but judging by the reaction at meeting to discuss the amendments, they are extremely disappointed/angered. It offers very little for most pilots,( no pay increase) other than a 15% gratuity after 3 years. Pilots will continue to leave and management will hope they can continue to recruit from Indonesia, Phillipines etc (perhaps Adam Air pilots?!).

Other reasons to leave are many but for Capts include roster instabilty and very late issue, no commuter contract, lack of leave. For FOs, concern they will not get a command due to many DE Capts and low priority for an overstretched training Dept.

Apologies for the gloomy news but I have to be honest and say I can't recommend coming here IN THE CURRENT JOB MARKET.