PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Query Help. Looking for a US School.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2002, 21:51
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Good luck with the trip 'Time to Fly'. I'm jealous because I can never seem to find the time and money simultaneously, the same problem it seems you’ve had.

Just to slightly hijack the thread, I need some advice on a similar subject. I'll be over in the States (Arizona) in March on a family holiday but having never flown over there I thought it would be good to go up for a couple of hours, just to get used to what it's like over there, before committing to an intensive course.

I am only about 10 hours into my PPL, and I don't want to be accused of running before I can walk, but it just seems too good an opportunity to miss really. I thought I'd do perhaps 4 or 5 hours over a couple of days. I have solo’d but I know I would need an FAA medical to do so over there – this isn’t really what I want to do anyway.

Three specific questions:

1. The only schools I've identified do not do JAA certified training. Am I right in assuming that any time I fly can be logged, but not towards my 45hr requirement for the JAA PPL? If so this is fine.

2. With the current security situation, does anyone who's been recently know how easy I'll find it to just walk up to a school and fly the same or next day. Obviously I'll have ID etc. but are there any other requirements?

3. Does anyone from that part of the world have any specific recommendations or where to go (or avoid)?

I'm aware of all the UK vs. USA arguments so don't want to go into that. Basically I want to find out for myself and have a bit of fun while I'm at it.