PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Query Help. Looking for a US School.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2002, 00:54
big.al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Time to Fly -

You haven't said when you are going, but I'm off to Florida (Orlando) mid-April for four weeks to do exactly the same.

The wife and out-laws (erm.. sorry in laws) are coming too so they can have a holiday (the wife can visit the mouse with the big ears and all his favourite haunts plus the big killer whale and the theme park built around him, etc etc).

We've hired a smart (I hope!) three bedroom villa with own pool, double-garage, en-suite golfcourse (ahem, sorry - getting a little too excited now). Cost for that is £1400 for the four weeks, a snip at £350 a week when most villas are nearer the 500 quid mark. And it's only a mile from the airfield...

As for what the FTO is like - I can't comment until mid-May when I get back, so if you are planning on going in the autumn I can let you know whether (or not) to use the same school I'm going to. I have heard lots of things about them (good and bad) but don't feel it's fair to comment until I have experienced it myself (and even then I won't go into print on the website, but feel free to e-mail me direct).

One thing everyone has been saying is that it is just not possible to cram all the study AND flying AND exams into three of four weeks without working until the early hours and missing those huge American-portion meals. So get the ground exams out of the way first (I've done three so far, number four is on Monday and then two more to go - excluding RT - before I depart for the Land of the Free). That way I hope to get the flying done in three weeks and have a week's holiday, and do the usual tourism stuff (I think a shuttle launch is scheduled whilst I'm there).

If you are taking relatives with you it makes sense to deposit them somewhere where there's plenty to do (should be ample in Orlando) so they'll stay out of your hair and let you concentrate on the reason you really went.

Whatever you choose to do and wherever you go, good luck - you are about to embark upon the rest of your life - as a pilot! Which is far better than most people who seem to settle for being a pillock instead...