PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ek Airbus upgrades delays
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 15:04
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shortage of FO's on the Airbus fleet is indeed fact, which will begin to show on the line in a month or two. The only question is, how will the company deal with it? For example, Nagoyas went with 2 Captains and 1 FO and I suspect that will start again soon.

What else could they do? Well if past policy is any indication, DEC's and more factored flying. Both of which were disasters (policy-wise) but no doubt both will happen again.

The only constant at EK is the lack of forethought and planning. Just imagine if the A380's had actually turned up on schedule?

I have no doubt that pilots will suffer..... the only question is how. They are so clever at deception and manipulation that I'm sure they have other devious if not illegal tactics to throw at us in an attempt to cover up their incompetence.

So the cycle starts all over again just when things started to look better for FO's.

1. Potential upgrade delays for no reason other than lack of planning.
2. A crisis in accomodation. And who is going to get the few available villas? Certainly not the FO's already here or about to join. The villas will be required for the DEC's. DEC's do not have to accept unsuitable accomodations because the company knows they just won't show up if they are displeased.

It just boggles my mind why EK did not allow for a normal career progression for its pilots. It affects everything. Recruitment, salary, lifestyle, accomodation, overall contentment, respect, schedules........ yet the inequities of differing hiring schemes and upgrades makes suitable applicants reconsider employment at EK and some of those already here feel trapped.

Hire FO's, train them to EK standard and then upgrade them when their turn comes. It is frickin simple !! A pilot's life would get better each year, his wage would increase, his accomodation entitlement improves and his job satisfaction increases accordingly.