PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA-28 or PA-38?
Thread: PA-28 or PA-38?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2001, 15:00
Aussie Andy

Hi,

I agree with GRpr - start with the PA38, and then move on to the PA28 at a later stage.

I have nearly completed PPL at BAFC (Wycombe) where the fleet consists mainly of these two types. I found the PA38 a great trainer, and slightly cheaper. I soloed in it, and stuck with it up until the cross-countries.

I started with PA28 on the first cross country (the conversion is very straightforward). The benefits are:

a) PA28 is faster, and therefore not necessarily more expensive on a long distance flight (this has been proven when another guy doing the same X-country as me on the same day at the same time, and he got back later than me and his bill was slightly higher!);

b) When I get my PPL, I don't want to fly alone! I want to be able to take my wife, kids, friends etc. So you'll eventually need to convert to a 4-seater if you have this in mind anyway.

c) The PA28's (at least those at BAFC) are better equipped for X-country flights. They have DME (not essential, but handy), an ADF with a timer/stopwatch built-in (again not essential, but handy), and a HEADING BUG on the DI, which I find invaluable! One less thing to remember! (having said that, I have once or twice set it to the wrong spot on the dial - but that's what the gross error check is for, right!?).

All in all, I have found both Piper a/c fabulous and reckon they are a great choice of trainer.

Hope this helps,

Andy

------------------
"Andy sang, Andy watched, Andy waited 'til his billy boiled..." (It was written for me!)

[This message has been edited to fix the typo - yes I meant that PA28 is faster! (edited 14 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Aussie Andy (edited 14 May 2001).]