PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA-28 or PA-38?
Thread: PA-28 or PA-38?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2001, 13:25
Gerund

Hi Fokker! Thanks for your posting elsewhere!!

I think one reason the Tomahawk got the name Traumahawk is due to its spin characteristics. There were a number of fatal stall/spin accidents in the States with instructors on board. Also, from memory, if you read the flight manual, you will see that the potential loss of height per rotation is actually quoted - it's high!

There were two flow strip modifications, one set inboard, and one set outboard in response to the accidents. (I am bewildered as to how the outboard set helps - its a long, long way out. Anyone know?)

Anyway, these modifications tame the stall and spin characteristics. You will note in the manual that there are different stall speeds quoted dependent on whether the flow strips have been fitted or not. Without the flow strips there can be a viscious wing drop at the stall.

The Tomahawk is a fun plane to spin, but I have only done it on a plane fitted with both sets of flow strips. Not sure I would want to give it a go on one without.

Also, with two persons of medium weight, to have the weight in the utility category, means that you can't carry much fuel. Please don't spin the Tomahawk outside its utility envelope!!!

[This message has been edited by Gerund (edited 14 May 2001).]