PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC in an R22 - anyone done this?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 02:30
blave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew this aircraft (N70144) a week before this accident, and sorta kinda knew the rated pilot on board, but not the CFI, other than meeting him as they were getting ready to take this trip.

I do not know this as fact, but my recollection of being told about this is that they were low on fuel where the accident occurred, and pretty much had to "get down soon". I would have to look at maps to see if this makes sense but- well, I'm not going to at this particular moment.

My comments:

1) yes, they had get-there-itis. They were under some pressure to deliver the aircraft "on time", for an airshow the next day (if my memory serves).

2) anyone here that's posted about this particular event doesn't have any knowledge of the accident other than the NTSB report, and therefore should keep his piehole shut rather than criticize the actions of the PIC. I firmly believe that he did NOT intentionally "go IMC" (no person of any pilot-compatible IQ would do so in a Robinson) and was caught out on low fuel and non-improving conditions. (In an area that he was not that familiar with, methinks.)

FWIW, I have learned a lesson here (again) that the ol' Monday morning quarterbacking (caveat: that may be a USA-unique term) is worth the paper it's printed on, and that NTSB reports don't always tell the whole story.

Did the PIC have poor judgement? I have opined so in my own head, knowing the "back story", but in the end none of us was in the cockpit and have no idea how those unfortunate fellows got into the situation that killed them.

Dave Blevins
San Jose, CA, USA