PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC in an R22 - anyone done this?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 00:02
agust119

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no imc in non IFR Machine

I did my training is a R22 a few years ago and I was amazed at the comments of fellow students in my theory class re IMC, no one thought it a big problem for a short time. “Just turn around and fly out or just punch through it, etc”. The reason, no one had ever been IMC, to be fair the instructor did advise not to do it, but without the conviction of someone who had been IMC.

I was amazed as I had some experience of unofficial flying in a full IFR fixed wing with a current IFR pilot. Autopilot off just before we flew into a solid bank of cloud I tried to hand back to the pilot, he said no you have a go. After a very short period of time I felt we where in a 45 degree bank and after about 3 minutes (I checked the clock before go IMC) we where 30 degrees of course as I was concentrating on the AH. The pilot took over with much relief from me. Thank God I did not need to do a 180 degree turn and the aircraft was in trim and the air reasonably stable!

I have never been IMC in a VFR machine nor will I because of that experience.

Every VFR pilot needs the experience of what IMC is like, the weird feeling of banking when you’re not so they never try IMC!