PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL
Thread: NPPL
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2002, 19:31
Saab Dastard

Some observations from a JAR FCL1 student pilot, nearly completed training:. .. .(I found the following link useful in summarising the NPPL: <a href="http://www.ontrackaviation.com/NPPL" target="_blank">www.ontrackaviation.com/NPPL</a> (A).html. If it is out-of-date or incorrect, then so also are my comments based on it.). .. .There seems to be very little difference between the JAA and NPPL requirements, other than the minimum number of hours and the medical requirements.. .. .I think that one should remember that the word minimum means just that. A student who has not achieved the standard to pass the NPPL skills test in 32 hours will need to do more than the minimum number, just as they do with the 45 hours for the JAR/FCL PPL.. .. .This makes me wonder a) what the standard of the NPPL skills test will be compared to that for the JAR/FCL - if it is the same (subject to radio nav difference) than I would expect a high failure rate. If it is less rigorous then I cannot but feel that the standard of PPL aviation will fall, potentially with tragic consequences (I have accumulated 41 hours towards my PPL, and I only now have the confidence that I should be able to pass the skills test that I certainly did not have 10 flying hours ago).. .. .b) as the number of hours over and above the minimum 32 increases, does there not come a point where one "might as well" go for the JAR/FCL licence? Yes, there is the medical issue, but this is circa £100 for a class 2, or 1 hours flying and not, in the overall costs, that relevant. One has then none of the restrictions of the NPPL, for a very moderate increase in marginal cost / outlay.. .. .The current stance on flying training credits seems to be as follows:. .. .Quote: "As regards previously accumulated flying hours, the NPPL is envisaged as being a "stand alone" licence, with no read across or equivalence to the Joint Aviation Requirements--Private Pilot's Licence. It will, in effect, exist in isolation of other ICAO compliant licences. Therefore, training to the NPPL syllabus will not be permitted prior to its coming into effect, and no credit will be granted for flying hours acquired under other training syllabuses. . .. .This is a parliamentary response, and the last statement seems to me to be idiotic. Why on earth not? Especially as the intention seems to be that anyone with an existing PPL but without a valid medical can get a NPPL by simply paying an administration charge!. .. .However, the NPPL training appears to count towards the JAR/FCL requirements:. .. .Quote: "Any previous flying experience in single engine-piston (Land) aeroplanes gained during incompleted PPL(A) courses may be counted towards the 45 hour minima required for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A), however the specific requirements under JAR-FCL (25 hours dual instruction and 10 hours supervised solo-flight time) must be completed in the state under whose authority the training and testing are carried out.". .. .I would expect that many students could obtain the NPPL en-route to the JAA PPL if they wished to pay for the additional examination. I assume that the QXC would be identical for both. This would enable them to fly NPPL PIC while still training towards JAR/FCL licence - presumably the hours could count towards this.. .. .It would be sensible if successful completion of the written exams for JAA provided an exemption for the NPPL exams (as a superset). After all, studying for and taking the exams is free!. .. .However, if it proves that moving from NPPL to JAR/FCL PPL licence becomes expensive and time consuming due to lack of exam / flying hours credits then I would say that the NPPL would be a complete waste of time and money for new pilots who may wish to gain night or IMC ratings or beyond, or travel outside the UK. The thought of spending 3/4+ of the JAR/FCL licence on the NPPL and then finding one had to spend more than the remaining 1/4 to fly to Europe or to begin to get an IMC is ludicrous - why bother?. .. .Its value as an enabler for new or existing pilots who are content to fly within its restrictions without requiring a class 2 medical would still apply, of course. I don't want to get into "fitness to fly" arguments! . .. .SD