PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC in an R22 - anyone done this?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2008, 19:15
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument flying in singles

After the first page of this thread, I could barely believe what I was reading ... then the experienced guys came in and started to shout the message loud & clear.

Don't attempt cloud flying in a light single in any circumstances.

And for those guys able to afford a twin, the message is the same until you have the full instrument rating and our cleared to do so by an IRE.

The top north sea and corporate guys fly IFR for breakfast of course, but they've all done around 50 hours dedicated instrument training on top of a fairly average 1000 hours. I'm a 13.700 hour rotary man with an ex RAF fixed wing 'Master Green' instrument card, but these days it wouldn't enter my head to attempt IFR in any helicopter without a ton of serious instrument practice first. And as has been noted here, in the UK, single engine IMC is not legal anyway.

On a personal basis, I regard the EASA (CAA) 5 hour PPL requirement as an open invitation to an accident. Please see the LOOP article November 2007. www.loop.aero.

Sadly, I am now up to number 8 counting the number of good colleagues I have lost while flying knowingly or unknowingly into cloud. Three of them professionally qualified.

The advice is clear ... Don't attempt it. Sure, you may be good enough to manage it ... but you don't want to be airborne in cloud when you discover you aren't!

Hope we can discuss the issue on our informal safety evenings.

Safe flying to all,

Dennis Kenyon.