PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots with history of recreational drug use.Do I stand a chance?
Old 10th Apr 2008, 23:00
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! It's been interesting watching this thread develop! Now, I ain't going to start quoting here, or singling out individuals, but I reckon some of you are massively missing the point.

First, for the record let me state quite clearly that I am not religious -couldn't be further from it; I smoke, I enjoy a beer, wine or spirit in the company of friends (have been known to get excessive enjoyment from it in the past!), I do not consider myself to be a wowser, bigot, mushroom or naive and seemingly, neither do any of my friends consider me thus, nor has my life been short or miserable.

I am however whole-heartedly, completely and irrevocably against any level of drug use, particularly as it pertains to participants within our profession. My position was stated quite clearly I reckon in an earlier post on the subject. I have never taken any form of illicit drug in my life. I have though seen lives destroyed my "experimentation" with various compounds, in one case a good friend; a promising, brilliant university graduate reduced to menial tasks like clearing glasses and emptying ashtrays in pubs -he can't handle anything more demanding now. His cognitive ability was destroyed by magic mushrooms. He is kept 'flying' medically today, because that is the only way he can function at any level. He doesn't know who I am any more. I had a partner that thought her occasional, social participation passing a joint was fairly benign. She never really did ever have much memory of the psychotic events that I had to handle in the aftermath. I have very nearly lost 3 nieces and nephews to varying levels of drug use. They are clean now, with families of their own. The signs of their past are still there though, when you compare the kids you knew before the drugs to the people that exist today. They're all now staunchly anti-drug, and I fear for any of their children that may dare repeat their mistakes.

I have been a victim of crime associated with this scourge more than once, as I am sure have many others in here. I would do anything within my power, without reservation or hindrance to assist anyone genuinely wishing to release themselves from the vicious embrace of this scourge at any time, as I have done in the past.

But would I knowingly allow any one of those people to risk my investment, my hopes for the future, my customers, my reputation and my income? Not on your bloody life. No way, Jose. Not until I was DAMN sure there was a solid, verifiable, lengthy history of non-indulgence. If there was ever proven evidence of further use, out they would go. One strike, you're out.

So, where do I see other correspondents in this thread missing the point? In a word: TOLERANCE.

You are prepared to accept drug use and then encourage users to participate in an industry where such use must be absolutely intolerable!!! But it's wider than that too -at a societal level, it must be made plain that any level of drug use is simply unacceptable. The very tolerance in the wider community is what makes kids think it's OK to experiment, without thought of what that experimentation may mean to their future prospects at so many different levels. That tolerance and acceptance of this particular 'youthful excess' is what makes it possible for whatever level of drug dealer to flourish. Take away the demand, the bloody supply will soon dwindle. There is absolutely nothing benign about any level of drug use. To suggest otherwise, you are deluding only yourself. To suggest that a recently-reformed user might not at some stage choose to combine what they have known in the past with the skills they have acquired since, naive. That's not a risk I am prepared to take myself, nor one I think should be imposed on unknowing, paying pax.

Tolerance is tantamount to tacit approval. If that's a risk you are prepared to take, fill your boots. Don't expect to change my opinion by any level of impassioned rhetoric, or expect me to be even slightly swayed by your insults. I've got that particular T-shirt already. Why should I as an airspace user tolerate a risk you are imposing on me by your acceptance???

I reckon the original poster is either very brave or very naive posting his query (I suspect the latter). How confident can any of us be that his past experimentation with drugs is past? How confident can any of us be that his current experimentation with aviation will ever reach the necessary level of commitment? How confident can any of us be that these twin experimentations will never be combined in the future???

And you want me to be tolerant...

Last edited by RadioSaigon; 10th Apr 2008 at 23:25.