PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA Survey
Thread: AOA Survey
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 03:11
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backspace,
before ASL was introduced all pax and freighters were flown by pilots on the CX seniority list. The introduction of ASL took the freighters away and CX took the opportunity to lower FO and CN (and FE for that matter) salaries for freighter flying. So not sure of the number but I suspect it was close to 100 commands that should have gone to CX employees that ended up going to ASL employees.

The re-integration of ASL in 1/1/00 has caused a huge blip or bubble of numbers coming up for command later this year. I hear people complaining about that - usually those that joined soon after 1/1/00. The real winners out of the reintegration are the CX employees who joined between 96 and 2000 as their ASL peers who are senior to them, in terms of years working for CX/ASL are now junior to them on the seniority list as their official start date is 1/1/00.
So its not a case of people joining after 1/1/00 being disadvantaged, but rather those that joined in 98 and 99 being advantaged since the ASL seniority of their more senior peers was not grandfathered into CX!

BusyB has alluded to the fact that reintegrating the second ONCE and ONCE only group of ASL pilots into CX will reduce time to command. This is not correct, IMO. What will reduce time to command is if all commands, pax and freighter, are done strictly in seniority order from the top of the FO list. At the moment anyone can apply for a freighter command...due to inferior pay and rostering conditions it often goes to quite junior FOs. Every command taken by a junior pilot extends time to command for all pilots senior to them. I see nothing has changed thus far, in terms of the pay and rostering of freighter pilots, so until those terms and conditions are improved, time to command will still be lengthened by early freighter commands!

Still albatross,
I have done a spreadsheet and I do know the expected delay to command and the expected loss of career earnings. Whilst the numbers are significant yours appear to be a little sensationalist and off the mark.

Simple numerical example. If CX is expanding such that it needs approx 100 CNs per year then RA65 would halve that requirement assuming 100% extend beyond 55. In ten years from now the 65year olds will have to retire and we go back to the situation we have now where half the commands are for retirees and the other half are for expansion.
If all pilots extend for 5 years, then time to command increases by approx 2.5 years. If they all extend for 10 years, then time to command extends approx 5 years.
If full bypass pay is received then loss of career earnings is equivalent to working for free for one year. That is, you will need to work at 56 just to get your career earnings to catch up to where they would have been at 55. If you don't get any bypass pay, which is what CX has been angling for with based guys, you need to work three more years to recover the lost career earnings.

clear as mud?