PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots with history of recreational drug use.Do I stand a chance?
Old 9th Apr 2008, 15:19
F100 or B717

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's ALL Grow UP!!

OK. Where to begin.

One doesn't want to fuel the FIRE, instead help put it out in the most diplomatic way.

Times have indeed changed and yes as sunfish tried to put it MOST of the youth of today have indeed tried/been offered a drug or at the very minimum thought about trying it. Yes, some realise their wrong doing and others don’t! I think this young gentleman has realised his errors and is keen to make a difference!

I personally have had someone very close to me work through this very situation; they have made it in this industry now working for a major Australia airline.

You have been off the stuff for 2months, excellent because, E and speed are outta the system in under 48hrs, with absolutely no trace! [Plz don’t think this allows you the opportunity to do it again, as random testing will catch you out!]

My very close friend, whom i mentioned above, took in his prime 3-10 E pills a night, for a period of over 1year! He has the memory of a computer and is undoubtable normal in everything he does! So it will not affect your ability to do the job. [Again, Plz don’t think this allows you the opportunity to do it again, as random testing will catch you out!]

A True FACT is No-body knows unless you tell them, like everything only say what has to be said. BUT if you do go back (or even think you will), then you should immediately think of another career choice! We don’t want nor need druggo's in this industry, plus you will get caught, so why waste the time and money! [HOWEVER! Don't feel like you have to distance yourself from events you used to consumed the drugs at, there are great substitutes such as RED BULL, V or any sports drink for that!! Just make your friends aware of this new goal of yours, if they are real mates they will support you and by you still spending time with them you will feel no immediate loss and maybe like my friend mentioned above you will see how silly it was in the first place, at the same time showing your mates a new path to take.]

I have met in Australia/NZ alone, in excess of 10 professional pilots whom used to and in the correct company recall taking such illegal items. In some cases it was what has made them who they are today. [Life experience can be invaluable, u now have more than some other pilots, use it to your advantage and make sure you NEVER LOOK BACK!] Absolutely no one should be crucified for changing a bad habit and moving on with their life!!

I agree with Sunfish get another username and maybe alter your D.O.B. as people will not take long to put 2n2 together, aviation is SO SOOO small worldwide. Not to mention, don’t talk to anyone in the industry about these previous habits, same as my last comment, word travels so fast in this industry, as you will quickly learn.

OutKast you said it 'I have never touched drugs either and yet I think that amongst my non-aviation friends that I probably would be the only one that hasn't', this is as true for me as you and all the people I asked at work today.

Now I am sure everyone will think F100 or B717 has posted his first post, indeed he has, but not to be a smart ass nor a sneaky NZ'r. Simply to provide some facts and information that may one day allow someone whom has a much undesirable past the opportunity to play in the FL's as many of us do daily! I want to remind you all that I AM TOTALLY AGAINST DRUGS, but I believe that everyone deserves a chance, n even a second chance!

All the best mate. I would fly with you any day.