PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots with history of recreational drug use.Do I stand a chance?
Old 9th Apr 2008, 00:51
SIUYA

Received 81 Likes on 25 Posts
Interesting range of responses to this 'problem'!

Jaba............as far as I understand, repeated exposure to ecstasy can apparently result in memory loss, brain damage and depression, and repeated exposure to speed can result in malnutrition, psychosis (including violence), reduced resistence to infection, and brain damage.

Simply, the potentially disastrous consequences of taking ecstasy and speed far outweigh the (perceived) benefits.

Jabawocky offered you some good advice Cetnik..........here's some more from the Designated Medical Examiner's Handbook:
  • CASA will not usually issue an aviation medical certificate to a pilot or ATC who suffers a substance abuse disorder or who is involved in the problematic use of drugs.
  • Current CASA practice is to ask all applicants for aeromedical certification (original and renewal), about possible problematic use of drugs and substances.
  • Applicants who admit to the problematic use of drugs/substances or whom the DAME suspects of drug/substance abuse on the basis of other history or examination findings are required to submit a urine sample for drug screening.
  • As a minimum, urine samples should be tested for the following groups of drugs: cannabinoids, amphetamines, cocaine analogues, hallucinogens, opiates, sedatives and phencyclidine analogues. In addition, the requesting DAME should request testing for any other drug/substance that he/she suspects that the applicant may be using/abusing.
  • Any applicant who returns a positive urine drug screen and thus confirms his/her problematic use of drugs/substances does not meet the relevant medical standard. CASA will not issue a medical certificate unless an explanation acceptable to CASA is provided.

Somehow, I think that you may need to reassess your career ambitions.