PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No A Levels, Work Experience Enough?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 13:33
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
slackjack,

Occassionally a smaller operator might have a need for your computing skills in return for a shot at flying an aircraft, however, I wouldn't be using it as my main selling point. What will be useful is the maturity that comes from full time employment as well as studying.

Consider this course of action.

Eg, small flying club still uses paper booking sheets. You can offer your services for something you want. Leave with a few hours and a good word from the boss (eg, hour building for CPL etc). Contacts are gold. He/she recommends you to a mate who's running an air taxi operation. Repeat effort but now should be a paid position etc. You've made more contacts and now have a good understanding of the business and have some more hours. Now of course, they know someone in airline X and off you go.

So now you've used your computing skills to open a door or two and have gained flying hours etc. If I was in recruiting and someone in their mid 20s didn't have their A levels but had used their nouse to gain experience in the industry, I'd look at them very seriously.

Where it can fall down is online computerised forms that may kick out applications that require X as some form of screening. However, as you've made a contact or two on your way through, a word to the recruiting department can over come those little inconveniences.

Good luck.

General comment. *sigh* so many folks are in an almighty rush to the RHS of a jet. Relax, enjoy the aviation journey and have fun along the way. I've enjoyed my ride to the LHS of a bizjet, admittedly, I took the long way round but my log book's full of interesting and fascinating adventures.
Jet jobs are full of Autopilots, SID Airway STAR/radar vector ILS "flying".

*Note, I usually advocate staying in school and getting the highest grades possible but if someone's already left and is in gainful employment, then it may be a backward step. **if this was the USA, I'd say, get a degree**