PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 landing on the road at Windhoek
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 16:56
joshua express

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Aviation Experts

Just some points to ponder :

1. Legal weather information is to obtain a forecast from a weather station - phone Windhoeks met office and they will read you the TAF for WHK International for Eros. That gives you exactly NIL information for Eros as Eros' weather can be very different from WHK internationals. If you query the met officer on duty expect to hear : " are you trying to tell me how to do my job ?" ( BUT legally you have obtained a valid forecast !!!)
To phone your buddy on the ground may be more accurate but not legal...

2. The ILS app at FYWH is outdated, the localizer beam is notoriously narrow, the published final app track has not been compensated for variation in 8 years and is at least 2 deg off - in itself not hectic but couple that to a narrow loc beam, the outer marker has been stolen, and the missed app ends in the app pattern which makes the app very time consuming....

3. Namibia's ATC has been blacklisted for 5 years now and all the good ones have disappeared beyond Namibia's bordes,apparently distances of aircraft to the WHV were requested while said aircraft were in the hold...

Elize is a very good pilot and did a great job landing the 1900 where she did.It is easy to sit in an airconditioned office and point fingers

By the way - Air Namibia passed the IOSA audit - and may not be allowed into European airspace as their controlling Agency - DCA Namibia failed their ICAO audit, not because of any shortcoming on Air Namibias side. If u ( Jester) want to attack somebody at least have some facts straight - I know lies make for a more interesting story but only lies also become boring

Always thought the point of an investigation was to prevent this from happening in future - not to crucify somebody.