PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Air / Anchorage tape released
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2002, 12:14
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Flew Cloudy : Check ! I read the post too fast as usual when I am tired...

Shore guy : my apologies , I was asuming you were another journo in disguise ( many of those in this Forum ).

Incidentally those 2 facts ( tired and asuming )might find their way into explaining some of the CAL error on the day .. just a thought.. .Does anyone knows what was the duty / rest time of those guys before making the flight ?

The points about CRM and left seat/ right seat handling of the taxi part is very relevant. . .You will find that most taxi / runway incursions investigated end up by showing that one or both factors played a major role.. .A simple distraction while taxing, combined with poor communications/ CRM techniques within the cockpit aferwards can lead to an error.. .Very senior left hand seats ( always doing the taxi due position of steer ) and very junior right hands are not helping either.. .If I take the preliminary report of the latest tragic runway incursion ( Linate )One the remarks on the R/T by the Captain of the Citation was : "I am familiar with the airport " when the controller tried to give him taxi directions.. .With that kind of remark, what do you say as a junior F/O if you guess something is wrong ( the error in that perticular case was nearly 180 degrees ....)

If after al those cases, someone would look and revise the taxi check lists to eliminate those taxi errors , one would advance safety a big step.. .What is often forgotten is that , as a pilot ( and as a pax )today , you have more chances of getting killed on a runway or a taxi way than while flying..