PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying from the R/H seat.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2002, 23:54
skydriller

fish

DOC400, funny you should bring that up, I know exactly what you mean regarding switching hands for throttle/stick. When I started flying Robins over here in France I continued to use my left hand for the stick and right hand for throttle as I had done in Cessnas/Pipers back in the UK. I dont use the throttle on the RH side when when I fly (always in the left seat so far), but a little while ago I decided to try switching hands for the duration of a flight – I found I just couldnt do it!! After 10 minutes I had gone back to right hand throttle/left hand stick without thinking, I guess to me it was ‘Natural’ that way in that aeroplane.

I remember reading an article in pilot mag about a military guy in a light plane who when too low on an approach, accidentally pulled back the throttle and pushed foreward the stick instead of the other way about because his hands were switched from what he was used to. The idea of inadvertantly doing this scares the hell out of me!!

Any instructors here care to comment on the problems of flying ‘the other way around’?

SD..