PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA Survey
Thread: AOA Survey
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2008, 13:02
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stillalbatross

The AOA is a disparate group; A scalers, B scalers, freighter pilots, LEPs, based etc etc. There is almost nothing that can be done that doesn't inevitably favour one group over another. The CPU was formed to continue on with the aim of re-employment of the 49ers and and seeking greater legal clarity of our contract (well thats how I see them). Considering how major an event the 49ers was to our history it is disappointing that so few people have joined the CPU. To me it demonstrates that our best hope of success in all issues is within one semi-cohesive body. So whilst many might like to start a whole new union, the AOA is the best option right now, IMO.

GC democracy?
The AOA GC is self selected. In my time here at CX there was only one occasion where I had to actually choose amongst a surplus of GC candidates and only two presidential elections. So if you don't like what it is doing or where it is going, then make sure you or someone of your ilk runs for a GC or presidential position in the next GC. From memory I think nominations are in May or June and elections in July or August - I am sure BusyB will clarify.

So when I state you should 'say or do something', I suggest the best and most effective way is within the framework of the current AOA structure. If you really think you can get 1100+ people to join a new union then by all means set one up.

GC 2008-09
If we all committed to doing one or two years in the AOA in our career here, we would have over 100 candidates for the coming GC elections - that would mean over five candidates per position.
With that sort of candidature we would all ensure we only selected those whose views were in tune with our own. There could be no more calls of unrepresentative GCs.

Almost half of the last few GCs have been based and or commuting pilots so do not let that 'excuse' stop you or your friends from being nominated.

Regardless of who is in the GC, remember they operate within a parsimonious corporate framework. We work for a company that thinks 3% is an acceptable payrise after 7 years vs over 40% for EK and over 20% for QF. We work for a company that trumpets a C scale payrise of 6% which results in the C scale(Cos08) only being a 20+% paycut vs CoS99!

Chamberlain got us 'peace in our time' as he did not have the national will for confrontation. If you wish to achieve much you must risk much. Fortunately the 'much' you must risk is becoming less and less valuable. CX may have some 'lost opportunities', but many ex CX pilots are seeking 'better opportunities'.

CX - its just a job!