PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are your pet hate non-standard phraseologies?
Old 4th Apr 2008, 18:23
GunkyTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As I said, airspace infringements usually happen because a pilot is uncertain of position, not because he thinks he can enter without clearance. Telling a lost pilot to avoid will likely as not make absolutely no difference; in fact you'll be lucky if the errant one is on frequency.
If he isn't on freq, then he won't be calling, if he is and he is lost, then he should advise that and we will deal with it.

If ATC say to me "Standby", I know to remain clear / go round the airspace. It's not rocket science, just the ANO. Every pilot must pass the exam on it before solo.
Obviously not everyone does remain clear otherwise we wouldn't need the phrase and we wouldn't be having this discussion

Sorry, but I regard a "standard response" to "remain clear" in the same vein as the recent trend of security folk "spotting" someone not wearing a hi-vis vest from the other side of the airfield and dashing up, lights flashing to berate them, telling it's for their own good, so they can be seen when on an airfield......
It was at Manchester that a pilot was fatally injured on the airfield and it was thought to be a contributing factor that he wasn't wearing a vest, who knows? If it saves 1 life, it is worth it. H+S is everywhere.

Perhaps in future I'll just say "Callsign, Approaching your airspace NOW", then the "standard" answer will carry some weight.
Don't try it, why lower what you consider to be a professional standard to make a point-badly!

Btw, please, if you are going to quote me, at least use the copy / paste facility so I don't get credited with spelling mistakes I didn't make (I never wrote iincursion, certainly not with two "i"s at the beginning).
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I am but a lowly controller and struggle to Cut + Paste and also type but I will try harder