PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are your pet hate non-standard phraseologies?
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 23:24
timelapse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also a first hand witness to the way some pilots act related to this.. I was flying as a passenger in a light aircraft on a trip to france about a year ago now and we called up XX radar (major UK airfield) for FIS. It was quite busy around, summer weekend rush and lots of stuff going on.

On board was pilot (CPL), his friend (PPL) (neither of whom I knew), both in the front, and me (PPL) in the back. As it happened my headset microphone wasn't working so I could only hear, not speak.

This pilot was a CPL 600+ hours and doing his instructor rating.

Pilot: XX radar, G-XX request FIS
ATC: G-XX standby I'll call you..

2 mins later

ATC: G-XX, pass your message
Pilot: G-XX from blah to blah currently at blah routing XYZ request FIS.

(The routing he had given if flown directly would infringe the CAS by about 1nm)

ATC: G-XX roger FIS, QNH 1013, remain *outside* controlled airspace - let me know if you need to come through
Pilot: G-XX roger.

The pilot and his friend then discussed whether they could take the direct route. He then made the turn cutting straight through the CAS. I saw this happening and tapped them on the shoulder, shook my head and pointed at the map but they weren't interested in what I was saying and I couldn't speak to them.

They chatted to each other for a bit about the fact they were transitting the CAS without a clearance, the pilot saying "yeah but he knows where we are and who we are - and we're not going in by much so it'll be fine".

Next thing that happens:

ATC: G-XX squawk 7206
G-XX: 7206 roger
ATC: G-XX you are inside my controlled airspace by 2nm, make the turn left now heading 090 degrees. I suggest you navigate more carefully in future.

So they turned, got out and the pilot was visibly upset by this - his pride dented - and was getting very distracted and kept talking about it, saying "f***ing asshole controller" etc.

I had the event logged on my PDA/GPS map and I took it home later in the day to discover that at our altitude we had flown straight through the SID tracks out of the airfield.

So this just goes to show that although I am sure most pilots would not have done this, some do. And even despite it being emphasised not to enter the airspace, they still had no problem doing so. In this case it seems that even the verbal warning was not enough to stop it happening.. it's events like this that keep the controllers saying it. As PPrune Radar said - if nobody did it - they wouldn't need to say it at all.