PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are your pet hate non-standard phraseologies?
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 11:27
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PPRuNe Radar
... It's as I have explained above. A tool which ATC use to try and prevent the incursion by those who may have infringed (for whatever reason) had they not been given the 'heads up' warning.
PPRuNe Radar, do you not understand that many will find this immensely irritating, being told that, but for a reminder by ATC, they were expected to have proceeded without any clearance and infringed CAS? Furthermore, you seem to be employing an "it's for your own good" argument and that simply won't wash.

Originally Posted by PPRuNe Radar
No such assumption is made, however how can I know that you are not one of the pilots who contributed to the 699 infringements which took place in 2007 (46 were medium risk and 7 were high risk ) or 1 of the 80 which have occurred so far this year (7 medium risk) ?
You cannot know - but on the other hand you shouldn't assume that I am. It is just not good interpersonal skills to make the assumption that every caller will be a miscreant, unless you pre-emptively stop them. That may be fine for your own protection - but talking to them as if they are guilty before the event is bound to irritate a significant number. In my book, it is just not a good professional attitude; if you save one potential incursion but in the process antagonise a large number of the rest of your "customers", is that really a success?

Look at it another way, if I were to assume every time I called you that you were about to demonstrate the worst standard of controlling that I had ever experienced in over 35 years of flying, that would hardly be a good start, would it? Furthermore, you might well object - and rightly so. So please don't do this to me when I call you and you are too busy to fully answer my call.

There is a very significant difference between you being concerned about a potential incursion, which is part of your professional responsibility, and making the assumption that every pilot who calls you is an irresponsible numpty.

JD