PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comet Racer G-ACSS Replica
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 09:49
sedburgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Africrash
I believe the Schneider trophy S6 is the one now in the Science museum in London,
No, its the one now in Solent Sky in Southampton - S.6a N248, painted at that time as S.6b S1596 '7' .

Originally Posted by TFAStoat
... There are 2 S6 Variants,one at the Science Museum and one at the Southampton Museum of Aviation.I seem to remember one is a S6 painted as a S6b for the" First of the Few".Which is which I am not sure.
The Science Museum aircraft is S.6b S1596, this is one of the two built new for the 1931 contest and is the machine in which Boothman won, the Southampton example is S.6a serial number N248 which was built as an S.6 for the 1929 contest and flown by Atcherley, it was then modified as S.6a for the 1931 contest ( longer floats, more powerful engine, increased cooling ) but not used in the 'race' as Boothman won unopposed. It was stored and then used in the film 'The First of the Few' after which its true identity was lost and for many years was assumed to be the second S.6b S1596. After delivery to the R J MItchell Memorial Museum in Southampton in 1976 its correct identity came to light and it was repainted with its proper markings.