PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying career progression at the moment??
Old 1st Apr 2008, 03:56
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Thanks for the replies so far.....

Much appreciated.

A few of you have mentioned the various Cadet schemes as the way to go initially.

It's my intention to apply for all of the various Cadet schemes as of the day that I've passed the MECIR test and final ATPL subject.

I'm also a realist though, and as such realise that all Cadet schemes are highly competitive for places and being in my mid-30's I have to compete against the 20- somethings that are the flavour of the month for these particular schemes (you only need to look at the photo of the initial intake of QFLink Cadets to see what I mean).

Nothing will frustrate me more than being qualified, job- ready, and having to then sit around here in Melbourne while the inept HR Dept at some Airline dithers with my application.

By looking at going North somewhere, I put myself more in control of my immediate destiny- it's more likely that I can "make something happen" with a smaller operater than with an Airline in the short term. Also, by getting a job somewhere prior to being accepted onto a Cadet Scheme, it should demonstrate to the decision makers that 1. I'm current and; 2. I have the drive and motivation to build a career as a Pilot- which for late starters is probably an important thing in front of an Interview Board.

So in short I will apply for any Cadet scheme that I can- but I'll also be doing the North thing at the same time to have the best chance of starting my career ASAP (at 34 I'm not getting any younger).

Interesting to note the sort of jobs that are starting to be advertised on the AFAP Website- I think it's not out of the question that I could secure a job somewhere BEFORE making the move out of Melbourne (although I realise that I'd have to travel initially for the Interview/ Check Flight). That should simplify the logistics and lower the cost of what I'm looking to do.

Please keep the thoughts/ opinions coming.

Cheers,
Gearup.