PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying career progression at the moment??
Old 31st Mar 2008, 13:22
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Flying career progression at the moment??

Hi fellow Prooners,

I'm curious as to how long it's now taking people to progress from bare CPL (200 hr/ MECIR/ ATPL theory) to the point of being hired at a Regional Airline level (discounting the Cadet schemes that seem to be popping up now).

My reason for asking is that I'm within months of finishing off the CPL/ MECIR and ATPL subjects and will have about 300hrs TT. However, I've also just turned 34 and realise that I probably don't have a lot of time to muck around.

For this reason, I've made up my mind to head north- anywhere I could quickly pick up work- instead of sticking around Melbourne and trying to find work as a G3 Instructor (funny enough, almost all advertisements for Schools looking for instructors down here are seeking Grade 1 & 2's). Besides, it's not my passion to Instruct and don't want to waste other peoples' time and money.

I've got full support from Mrs. Gearup to chase the work up north- BUT- as I've already dragged her halfway around the World chasing the dream- she's choosen to stay here in Melbourne whilst I head north to gain experience. Fortunately we're at the point where the House is paid off and we don't have Kids (yet), so as my Wife has said "there will never be a better time than now". Also, she's loving her Job and has the support of friends and Family close by.

What sort of time frame is realistic, from start of first job to being in a position of being able to fly out of a Capital City?

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts/ opinions,

Gearup.