PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are your pet hate non-standard phraseologies?
Old 31st Mar 2008, 12:44
Little Indian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remain Outside Controlled Airspace

Whilst I tend to agree that it does niggle to be reminded to Remain Outside Controlled Airspace - particularly by London Information, my pet hate is not being given a positive clearance into controlled airspace. Particularly true of the occasional UK Military and all French ATC.

"XXXX approach, G-XXXX bonjour"
"G-XXXX pass your message"
"G-XXXX <insert life history here> request cross your zone direct XXXX"
"G-XXXX Squawk 1234"
"Squawk 1234 G-XXXX"

... and then nothing. No "identified", cleared to enter controlled airspace, maintain VFR or whatever. Which is of course met with:

"XXXX approach, G-XXXX confirm clear to enter controlled airspace at altitude/level".
The response to which is usually "Affirm" and an all to audible gallic shrug.

But the best example of good R/T was joining the circuit a Quiberon in Southern Brittany a few years ago. It's air-to-air in French, so I had learnt all my French R/T and was doing all my calls in the correct local language, with about three other local French aircraft in the circuit. A german registered aircraft called up to join the circuit in perfect English. The three French pilots immediately switched to doing all their calls in English. Rather impressive.