PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Alan Joyce Leaving or Moving?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 12:19
Private Part

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like your style Pack Rat! Let us know when you publish your article in the press.

Unfortunately Little Al holds his cards very close to his chest. However there is no doubting his ambition.

He is a remarkable fellow and I would prefer him any day over Dixon. Dixon is a loathsome thing, rarely smiling unless he has once again screwed his staff, and his success(???) is more a product of fortuitous circumstances than good management.

As for the entire QF management, empowered by the previous government's industrial relations policies, they are what I term "Militant Management". In the 'old days' union leaders and their scrofulous members held the title of "Militant", but QF management have it by the sharp bits now! Not just by the way staff are treated, but by the entire spectrum of their deeds: To their shareholders, passengers & customers, and their staff. Shame!

They as a collective whole are intrinsically short-sighted and greedy! The "Spirit of Australia" - God help our nation!!!

My biggest problem with A.J. is his view of the Jetstar culture. There is lots to like about the way he conducts his business, however our customers are our guests, and it's not Aussie culture to treat your guests with disdain. For example messy cabins, and all too frequently a lack of catering and generally poor communication (read service)! I don't care if they 'keep coming back' because of cheap fares - I am sickened to the core and left entirely embarrassed by the way our guests are treated.

Lastly, as much as I like AJ, I fear for QF if he takes the sweet seat. AJ has succumbed to the above mentioned greed. I state this categorically as observed by his actions; namely accepting massive pay increases and bonuses, whilst ensuring other's are kept low (The LCC mantra). He assumes (and has stated) that he 'deserves' higher pay. A salary on par with his peers because of his.........job. AJ does what he does because that's his........job. He demonstrates his greed by not leading by example (research Air NZ management for comparison). He expects EVERYONE (at least close to everyone) to accept lower wages compared to their peers, but either fails, deludes himself, or just doesn't care that he is the exception. Perhaps lower pay is the way LCCs can succeed, but he has FAILED to lead by example and consequently will FAIL his employers - the QF shareholders.

If only the board would have a good hard look across the Tasman and see how a company can be turned around and transformed. Qantas, as it is now, is but mere shadow of what it could truly become if it had a truly great leader!

Good luck with your article Pack Rat! You may be part of the catalyst for change!!

Cheers

PP