PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting my PPL
Thread: Starting my PPL
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 12:14
PompeyPaul
Pompey till I die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon

Im new to the forum and would like to say Hello.

I'm hopefully starting my P.P.L soon, however my local airfield only teaches on PA-28 warrior

I would like to hear your opinion on this aircraft, I've flown in one before and i loved it.

thanks for your time

Wilson
Hi Wilson, like others said, welcome to your PPL training. It really is an exciting thing to get involved in and before you know it you'll have a brown wallet from the CAA with your newly minted PPL inside.

I would agree with what most people above said, apart from the squabbles between G-EMMA et al (which looked dreadfully dull to wade through) but only offer the follow idea to the melting point:

I did all of my training in a PA28 and it was a great training aircraft. Now I've graduated and have built a few hours (yes, to the golden ones on pprune.com I'm still a rookie) I'm looking at hiring at more providers than my FTO. The only thing is there seem to be far, far, far more C172s out there than PA28's for hire.

Given my time again, and if I had an infinite set of choices, I would choose to train in a C172 since it gave me more scope after I had got the license.

Yes you can convert with a few hours, but I'm just so comfortable with the warrior and know the Vx, Vy numbers straight away (you'll learn about those during your training) where as I'm not comfortable that I would on a C172 even with 5 hours difference training.

If you only have a choice of PA28 or C152, and cost isn't an issue, then there's probably enough difference between the C152 & C172 to not really benefit you taking the cessna. Certainly the Pa28 will be "easier" because there's much more room available and so makes it easier to mess about with maps (again golden ones, I know what's going to kill you isn't inside the aircraft and you should be looking outside etc etc) which makes the training just that little bit easier.

If there were a C172 available though, I'd choose to train on that.

And no, before the golden ones come on and start screaming that statistics and the CAA and some bloke down the pub who invented flying show that there are more PA28s than cessna's about the place, I'm just saying from my point of view and I haven't done a detailed survey.

Last edited by PompeyPaul; 31st Mar 2008 at 12:29.