PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC Renewal
Thread: ASIC Renewal
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 10:16
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Binghi,
First rule in trying to get a government department on side is to take any emotion out of your argument.
Asking questions like "what does it achieve" and sweeping statements like "wasting people's time and money" etc will ensure you receive nothing more than a stock standard form letter from someone in the Office of Transport Security.

Common causes for delays in processing are firstly, on receiving the Auscheck clerance. Do you or have you had:
A criminal conviction,
Frequent overseas travel,
A pending case before the courts.
Related to someone who is on ASIO's radar
If the answer to any of these is yes, you can expect a delay in the process. Auscheck only coordinates the procedure, the actual checks involve a number of police and government bodies.

Further delays can occur with printing of the cards as the equipment has a limited ability and can only print less than 10 cards per hour. Put breakdowns into the equation and a backlog can soon occur.

As for profiteering by Issuing Bodies. When you consider that the Auscheck clearances costs $86.00 ($76.00 for renewal). Capital outlay for a complete card printing system is in the vicinity of $40,000. The time taken in processing the application, record keeping etc etc etc. I don't think you could accuse an IB of making a bundle out of ASICs. Some IBs actually charge less than the usual $180 but they only supply to limited numbers of people such as those working for or known by their organisation.

JBR76,
If the issuing body processing your card is able to print the card as soon as they receive the clearance, you should not lose out on the 2 year validity. It can be confusing when they debit your credit card straight away but take another month or so to get the card to you.

I am not saying I like the ASIC arrangements or trying to make apologies for the delays. Just telling it like it is.