PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which type rating to choose?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2008, 02:43
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dontpressthat,

let us know in one year's time how much more you owe.
Yes, you asked straightforward question.
But you are bluntly refusing to heed any advice from folks who know more (and not just who think who know more as there are too many of those).

btw, I'm towards rotary and will do planks as a side career, starting this year.
I'll do RW and FW PPL this and next year, fundraise longer, sweat blood working too much in too crappy jobs, count years until proper aviation career.
I'll get some dosh besides saving, but I'm not fortunate to have house to remortgage or put as security against huge loan. Maybe 10-20k when I build my credit history.. I'm way too itchy to fly and fly, get CPL etc, but I can't just blow everything on minimum TT for CPL, not having rotary FI or hours gained in the US on J1. I'd be plain crazy.

I'm familiar to similar issue of bloody expensive JAA rotary IR versus instructing up to 1000 TT and then applying for offshore job.
Yes, there were few guys over past year or two that 'fit the bill' and got hired with 250-300 rotary TT and JAA IR(H). Some and not too few, did the leap and whacked their face on the tarmac.

If there's some SOPs, minimum hour requirements, TR with no hours on type (ie to fulfill time requirements etc) could be way too pointless.

as I see it from outside the world of wannabe jet jockeys (taking out HUGE loans chasing the dream -flying-big bucks-cool image-whatever) but still in aviation with all the hurdles to jump over next years, well...

I won't slag anyone for damaging industry by SSTR.

You refuse "almost sure way" of turboprop TR as guys mentioned. yeah, they don't pay as much as heavy body FO salary. I bet they still pay more than instructing job. ME TP hours are much more valuable than PA28/C172 for interviews later on.

You can't afford to owe so much and earning too little as instructor, yet happy to slam extra £££ onto loan without guarantee of job. Any aviation job.

Can you afford to burn another wad of money for FI rating after jet TR?

What's wrong with part time FI and one full time job during week? Would pay the bills, gain hours, more networking and CV throwing time etc.

With what ideas did you start your training and what contingency plans did you make to keep afloat without striking jet FO job by miracle?

Most of all, you were refused by RYR once already. I don't see into it, but how many reapplying folks happen to be successful? Do you think JOC would do the trick if there was something about you they didn't fancy?
Do you just dismiss it by thinking there were too many better applicants at that time??

Regarding sponsorship schemes and A levels as minimum. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but looks to me you got only NVQ or GCSE. No Uni, no A level.
I don't think you'd have problems with Maths or Physics A level after all the theory for ATPL, but you also don't have time to get it.

So to put it very succintly, in order to get from financial s, there's a way - getting even deeper not listening to all well meant advice I've seen.

Those well meant posts are called reality check - are you familiar with the term?